Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tamale Pie


I love recipe book! I have a book shelf just for my recipe books. So while browsing the book section at Winner's a few weeks ago I found this one 100 Ground Beef Recipes100 ground beef dishes for $5.

So browsing through I found this recipe for Tamale Pie, which caught my interest because I love Tamales. This recipe is delicious and there was no leftovers :) 

2 tbsp corn oil ( I didn't have any so I used vegetable oil)
1 onion finely chopped
350g ground beef
2 tsp chili powder
7oz canned diced tomato
5oz corn (canned or frozen)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
3 tbsp milk
1 cup hot chicken stock
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat oil in large pan. Add onion and cook over low heat stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Add ground beef and increase heat to medium. Cook for 8-10 minutes stirring and breaking it up with the spoon, until there is no pink left. Stir in chili powder, tomatoes, corn and sour cream, then season to taste with salt. Transfer mix into casserole dish.

In a food processor, combine cornmeal, baking powder, butter and milk until combined. With the processor running add enough stock to make a thick, smooth texture.

Pour cornmeal mixture over the ground beef and smooth surface. Bake for 20 minutes until the top is beginning to brown. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for an additional 15 minutes. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment