Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sundays with Joy: Red Velvet Marble Cake with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Icing


This post is a few days late! However these last 2+ weeks have been crazy for my and have kept my from baking, cooking and blogging for the most part!

In my last post I mentioned I was going on a trip to Mexico! It was fantastic! The picture below is of our group. We enjoyed lots of sun and relaxing. It was cold and snowy here that week, so it was the perfect one to be gone for. There was also a 50 degree difference in temperature some days. I also got to visit with my friends Jenny and Danny while I was there. It was great to spend time together, although not enough and we didn't get to have our BBQ :( Oh well next year it'll have to be. 


So last weeks Sunday with Joy recipe was Red Velvet Marble Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing.
I decided to make Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Icing instead. 

The marbling turned out awesome. I use a different method than Joy uses. I scoop the different batters into the pan and opposite and then swirl a butter knife through the batter to make the marble effect. Joy suggests pouring one batter in and then the other on top and then swirling the knife through.

Also I only had gel colouring, so I used 3 tsp of the gel and 2 tbsp of water. I needed the extra liquid in order to to mix the cocoa powder in to a paste. It had no effect on the batter and worked great.  

This cake was delicious. I took it to work to share and everyone loved it.
If you would like the recipe grab Joy's book Joy the Baker Cookbook and check out her blog for more great recipe Joy the Baker



No comments:

Post a Comment